Abandoned Well Sealing Cost-Share Program
Unused wells can serve as direct conduits for surface contaminants to reach our aquifers. ACD has been awarded grants through the Clean Water Fund to help eligible landowners seal unused wells located within Anoka County, targeting vulnerable groundwater areas such as Drinking Water Supply Management Areas (DWSMAs).
In order to qualify for reimbursement, applicants must meet the requirements described in the application and receive formal approval from ACD before they seal their well. Funding may not be applied retroactively to wells that have already been sealed.
- Determine if you qualify. To be eligible, your unused/unsealed well must be within Anoka County. If you received a postcard from ACD, your property already qualifies! Otherwise, review this map.
- Download application. Click here to download the application: PDF version or Word version
- Submit application. Submit your application via email to:
- Wait for approval! The approval process takes between 2-6 weeks. Funding will not be applied retroactively for wells that have been sealed prior to the signing of the cost-share agreement.
- Sign cost-share agreement. Eligible applicants will be mailed a cost-share agreement from ACD, after ACD receives a complete application. Cost-share amount will be 60% of the lowest bid coordinated by ACD (most well sealing projects cost less than $2,000). Sign the cost-share agreement and return to the ACD office: 1318 McKay Dr. NE, Suite 300, Ham Lake, MN, 55304. Attn: Kris Larson.
- Do your project! After ACD receives your signed cost-share agreement, you have up to 90 days to complete your project and request reimbursement. Hire the licensed contractor of your choice. Keep a copy of the receipt/invoice and the Well and Boring Sealing Record provided by the contractor.
- Submit proof of project completion. Submit the payment receipt/invoice indicating the total well sealing cost and verification of payment to contractor and a copy of the Well and Boring Sealing Record via email to:
- Get reimbursed! Upon receipt of satisfactory proof of project completion, we will send you reimbursement in the amount agreed upon in your cost-share agreement. Check issuance generally takes 2-6 weeks. Please contact
Questions? Contact us!
Contact Kris Larson with questions or for more information about well sealing.